home :: some history :: search :: local antiques blog :: contact





C.L. BAYER
C.L. BAYER
C.L. BAYER, manufacturer and dealer in furniture, St. Mary's, was born in Baden, Germany, September 6, 1836, and is a son of Andrew and Catharine (Pfeifer) Bayer, who came to America in 1848 and settled in Benzinger township, Elk Co., Penn. Andrew Bayer was a wagon-maker by trade, and for a number of years carried on a shop in St. Mary's. He was the father of three children: C.L., Theresa (Mrs. Joseph Arnold) and Andrew. Of these, C.L., whose name heads this sketch, was reared in Elk county from twelve years of age, and served an apprenticeship of five years at the cabinet-maker's trade in Philadelphia; after which he worked as a journeyman until the breaking out of the Civil war, when, being in the South, he was pressed into the Confederate service at Jefferson, Tex. After serving about nine months, he left at Little Rock, Ark., and went to the Union army at Fayetteville, Ark. A few months after, he took employment at his trade in the cabinet department of the navy yards at Cairo and Mound City, Ill., where he served till the end of the war. In 1866 he commenced a sash and door shop in St. Mary's, but after a few years changed to manufacturing and dealing in furniture, and has built up a large and lucrative business. In 1867 Mr. Bayer married Barbara, daughter of George and Clara (Prongratz) Gregory, of St. Mary's, and by her has seven children living: John S., Minnie, Lizzie, Andrew, Lena, Willie and Fred. Mr. Bayer and family are members of the Catholic Church. In politics he votes the Democratic ticket, and has served the borough as school director several terms. Father B. Bayer, one of the first priests in St. Mary's and first doctor, was an uncle of C.L. Bayer.



home :: some history :: contact

Copyright © Mark Wendel, All Rights Reserved.


admin login