home :: some history :: search :: local antiques blog :: contact





IGNATIUS GARNER
IGNATIUS GARNER
IGNATIUS GARNER, St. Mary's, was born in Alsace-Lorraine, France, May 14, 1816, and is a son of George Garner and Magdalena (Bueser) Garner. George Garner settled in St. Mary's in 1845, and died there. They reared a family of four children: Ignatius, Magdalena (Mrs. Jacob Schaut), Anna and Barbara (Mrs. John Lejeal). The subject of this biographical sketch came to America in 1832, and to St. Mary's in 1845, where he has since resided. For a number of years he was agent and general director here for the German colony. Early in 1845 he proceeded to Europe and returned in July of the same year with a number of substantial settlers. He was the first postmaster of St. Mary's, which position he held ten years; was again appointed in 1887, and was retired July 1, 1889. A prominent and talented musician, he was for twenty-five years organist of St. Mary's German Catholic Church, and thirty-three years ago built the organ still used in that church. In 1844 Mr. Garner married Julia, daughter of Christopher and Johanna (Baumgardner) Weis, of Philadelphia, and they have six children: Louis H., Elizabeth, Charles, George, Bonaventura and Aloysius. Mr. Garner and his wife are members of St. Mary's German Catholic Church. He is a Democrat in politics, and has held the office of county auditor and commissioner several terms; also served as chief burgess, councilman and justice of the peace of St. Mary's.



home :: some history :: contact

Copyright © Mark Wendel, All Rights Reserved.


admin login